Hi Friends! It’s been… forever. We moved! We are settling into our new life in Pennsylvania. Our eyes have never seen so much greenery!
Today’s post is my makeover of the beloved IKEA Duktig Play Kitchen makeover. I’ve been planning to do one of these but I always got overwhelmed by the amount of painting some of them required. I decided to do a less overwhelming makeover by just painting the plastic parts (sink, oven border, handles, feet). Here’s what you’ll need besides the kitchen:
- Rustoleum Matte Clear Enamel I couldn’t find a link to the matte version so I linked the Gloss Protective Enamel, you can find the matte version at Lowe’s.
- Rustoleum Satin Paint & Primer In One in Black
- Scotch Brite Pad Scouring Pad
- Con-Tact Paper Brushed Copper
- Shelf Backsplash (sold separately)
- Microwave Decal (in gold)
- Sand/scrub plastic parts with the Scotch Brite Pad, you want to see little scratches all over the plastic.
- Spray paint parts whatever color you want. (I did two coats two days apart)
- Finish with a finishing spray, I used the Rustoleum Matte Clear Enamel, let fully dry.
- Rinse parts with water and dry.
- Start assembling the kitchen!
- Apply the contact paper to the piece with the two holes for the oven and sink (countertop), this was the hardest part and if you look closely it’s not perfect but try your best. I’ve linked two videos that do a good job of showing you how to do it here@1:49 and here @2:45).
- The shelf backsplash is attached via the “peel and stick” Velcro to the back of the shelves, same for the main backsplash.
- You’re done!
Here is my finished result!
If you have any questions or are planning to do this yourself, DM me on Instagram!